Scholar Resources

Learn more about conducting a clinical rotation or global health field placement study in India. 

Partnering Field Placement Sites


At this time, we do not offer funding for overseas placements. However, the Johns Hopkins Center for Global Health (CGH) has several student and trainee grants for Johns Hopkins students: Funding Opportunities

Obtaining a Visa

In addition to a valid passport, the Government of India requires a valid visa. There are two kinds:
  • If you are NOT flying into Pune or Chennai, and for stays of less than 30 days, obtain an electronic tourist visa (eTV) online without an intermediary agent:  Processing processing time is typically fairly quick—sometimes just a matter of days. It is possible to receive two eTVs in one calendar year. Please note that the Pune and Chennai airports do not accept the eTV.
  • If you ARE flying into Pune or Chennai, and for stays exceeding 30 days, and/or for more than two trips in one calendar year, obtain a 10-year, multiple entry visa. Cox & Kings Global Services provides this service:  Processing time is longer than the eTV, so plan accordingly. If you are short on time and your first trip will be for less than 30 days, you might want to obtain an eTV and fly into to Mumbai, and obtain the 10-year visa for your second trip.

CGH mantains numerous travel planning resources:

Maharastra Holiday List (BJGMC, Hinduja Hospital, DY Patil) Tamil Nadu Holiday List (NIRT)