- Our Work
- Get Involved
Dr. Smita Deshpande: Microbiology
BJGMC-JHU Fogarty HIV-TB Program Trainee
MBBS (1984) , Govt Medical College, Aurangabad, Maharashtra.
MD Microbiology (1988 ) Govt Medical College, Aurangabad, Maharashtra.
DCA (Diploma in Computer Application) – 1995, from Symbiosis Institute of Computer Studies and Research, Pune
My research interests have been: Rapid diagnostic methods for Acute pyogenic meningitis, Diagnosis of enteric fever , Role of Methicillin resistance Staph aureus in infections, Molecular diagnosis of Leptospirosis, Rapid diagnosis of MDR-TB by REMA ( Resasurine Micro titre Plate Assay)and by Line Probe Assay.
I would in future like to study diagnostic methods for early detection of tuberculosis. I would like to conduct an operational research project to assess the effectiveness of Gene Xpert in the early diagnosis of TB in HIV positives.
Honors and Awards:
- Worked for NABL accreditation of ICTC ( Integrated Counselling & Testing Center ) 1, ICTC 2 & SRL State Reference Center For HIV testing in 2013.
- Core committee member for RNTCP,
- SST (State Surveillance Team )Member for HSS ( HIV Sentinel Surveillance) Program
- Faculty for Training of District Surveillance Officers for the Integrated Disease Surveillance Project. 2005.
- Member of State level Standing Committee for review of Adverse Events Following Immunisation (AEFI)
- Laboratory Assessor for State And District level Clinical Laboratories under IDSP for India
- IDSP Coordinator for BJGMC, Pune.
- ‘Best Teacher award’ by Indian Medical Association ,Beed ,Maharashtra 1999.
- First Best Poster Award at IV Maharashtra Chapter Conference of IAMM at Govt. Medical College, Aurangabad 1998
- Establishment of plague surveillance centre at SRTR Medical College, Ambajogai ,Maharashtra after Mamala epidemic of plague-like illness 1996
- P.G. teacher for M.D. Microbiology at MUHS Nashik