- Our Work
- Get Involved
Research Elective at JHU: Expectations & Requirements
BACKGROUND READING MATERIALS
Contact your U.S.-based advisor and ask if there are specific protocols, papers, etc. that you should read up on prior to your trip.
REGISTER AS A VISITING STUDENT AT THE JHU SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
Once you are on site, and before you begin your elective, you will need to report to the Office of the Registrar, 733 North Broadway, Edward D. Miller Research Building, Suite 147 at 8:30 am to register as a visiting student. During registration, you will pay the required registration fee, provide health insurance information or enroll in the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine plan, and present any of the remaining requirements, if not previously submitted.
At the time of registration, you will be asked to present your passport. You will be assessed a registration fee of $300 payable at the time you register in person. In addition, you may be required to sign up for health insurance; if so, this is available for fee of $327 per month.
Schedule a meet-and-greet with Dr. Amita Gupta for your arrival.
DURING YOUR STAY
- Participate in Weekly Research Meeting Calls convened by Amita Gupta Wednesdays at 11:00 am EST.
- Keep notes regarding your work and life experiences.
- Engage with the CCGHE faculty, consult them for guidance and listen to them. Regularly meet up with your mentors to formally present your accomplishments.
BEFORE YOU LEAVE
Meet with your mentor to formally present your accomplishments and review what is remaining to do after you leave. Identify personnel who will complete this work. Schedule regular Skype meetings, as needed, to coordinate about the status of your study when you are back from the elective.
UPON RETURN TO INDIA
- Submit a reflection summarizing your experience, what you accomplished, how this fits into your academic/career goals, and next steps for producing research output. Please submit to Molly Bowen (molly.bowen[at]jhmi.edu) within 6 weeks of return, and include any photos you took.
- Send 1 paragraph bio to Molly Bowen (molly.bowen[at]jhmi.edu) for the CCGHE website, including: 1) education; 2) background; 3) scope of work at JHU. Please also send a high resolution headshot photograph. You can find examples of bios under Scholars.
- Complete the Post Field Study Survey